Monday, August 01, 2005

Does paedocommunion profane the consecrated elements?

That infants may receive baptism does not imply they should receive the Lord's Supper: the former is the sacrament of initiation into Christ's body, whereas the latter is the sacrament of remaining in him (1 Corinthians 12; Galatians 3; John 6; Bischof, 1999).

Further, baptism involves no action performed by the baptized, but the Lord's Supper requires the communicants to eat and drink in such a way that they regard the bread and wine as holy, not as common food and drink. To desecrate the body and blood of the Lord is to invite his judgment (1 Corinthians 11).

Bibliography
Bischof, J. C. John 6 and the Lord's Supper. Master of Sacred Theology, Concordia Seminary, 1999.

Views on the sacraments

3 Comments:

Dragonlady said...

If baptism requires nothing done from the one getting baptized, why should we do it? I was immersed (sp?), my daughter was sprinkled (she was 13). On both our parts it signified a commitment from us to do our best to follow GOD. To follow the example that Jesus gave to us.

Monday, August 15, 2005  
DRB said...

Dragonlady, you're right. As you and your daughter were baptized in the name of the Trinity, both of you were by faith baptized into the death of Christ and raised to walk in newness of life (Matthew 28; Romans 6; Galatians 3). I hope to further clarify that soon.

What I had meant to say is that in baptism no one self-administers the water, the element of that sacrament. Thus, baptism does not involve the same potential for defilement of the sacred as the Lord's Supper, in which the one eating and drinking the elements either does or does not regard them as holy.

Friday, August 19, 2005  
DRB said...

My clarification is based on Romans 6:3-5:
"Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his."

Thursday, October 27, 2005  

<< forum home